While the operators of bicycles have increased as a method of transportation due to the rising cost of gasoline, as well as a form of exercise, unfortunately, this mode of transportation offers little protection when involved in a motor vehicle collision. In 2009, the Florida Department of Transportation reported that over 90% of individuals involved in a bicycle accident were injured. Approximately 5% of the traffic fatalities reported in Florida were bicyclists and their passengers.
Bicycles operate under the same traffic laws as motor vehicles, motorcycles, tractor trailers, and buses. Throughout Florida, there are bicycle lanes specifically designated for bicycles only. Motorized vehicles which fail to obey the presence of bicycle lanes could be considered responsible for striking a bicyclist. Also, similar to a pedestrian, if you are struck by a motorized vehicle while operating a bicycle, your automobile insurance may provide you with insurance coverage, in the event you are injured.
After a bicycle accident occurs, you will likely have many questions.
- How do I get my bicycle repaired or replaced?
- Who is going to pay for this?
- Who is going to pay for my medical bills?
- If I miss time from work, will I be reimbursed for my lost wages?
- Which doctor should I see to help me recover from my injuries?
- What type of doctor is best for me?
- Should I go see my family doctor or a medical specialist?
- Will I require some special medical tests to diagnose my injuries?
- Should I talk to an insurance company?
- Should I provide a recorded statement or complete numerous forms?
- Should I accept a settlement offer, if one is made?
The best decision you can make before doing anything is to speak with a lawyer and ask all of these questions. This will ensure that your rights are properly protected.
After being involved in a bicycle accident, you may not be quite sure what to do. By calling or contacting me, I will:
- Personally help you through this ordeal.
- Provide appropriate legal advice to you.
- Assist you in getting your bicycle repaired or replaced, at no additional cost to you.
- If you miss work, I will immediately seek to have your lost wages reimbursed, if you have the appropriate insurance coverage.
- If you require medical attention and you do not know the name of a reputable medical specialist, I will personally provide you with a list of medical specialists who are experts in treating individuals injured in motor vehicle collisions.
As a former trial attorney for major insurance companies, If necessary, I will only recommend respected medical specialists who are concerned about your physical well-being and who are respected in both the medical and legal community.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident and need an experienced bicycle accident lawyer, please contact me, Steven Ainbinder, for a free, confidential consultation. I personally believe that our system of justice works best when all sides have a skilled professional representing their clients.