The significant difference in the operating characteristics, size and weight of tractor-trailer trucks versus passenger cars raise concerns for the safety of the traveling public, particularly on highways. To reduce the potential conflict between tractor trailers and passenger cars, the State of Florida has implemented laws restricting the speed, lane of operation, time or route of tractor trailers, 18 wheelers, and large trucks.
Although tractor trailer and truck accidents are caused by a variety of reasons, a study performed at the request of the Florida Department of Transportation, in cooperation with the United States Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration, indicated that improper lane change is one of the major contributing causes of accidents between tractor-trailers and passenger vehicles. Other reasons for truck collisions include:
- Improper maintenance of trucks;
- Insufficient skill level of the driver;
- Poor driver training;
- Hiring of the driver with a bad driving record;
- Allowing a truck driver to continue to operate a tractor trailer after the driver has shown a propensity to poorly operate a tractor trailer;
- Driver fatigue due to excessive driving.
After a truck accident occurs, you will likely have many questions.
- How do I get my motor vehicle or motorcycle repaired or replaced?
- Am I entitled to alternative transportation?
- Who is going to pay for this?
- Who is going to pay for my medical bills?
- If I miss time from work, will I be reimbursed for my lost wages?
- Which doctor should I see to help me recover from my injuries?
- What type of doctor is best for me?
- Should I go see my family doctor or a medical specialist?
- Will I require some special medical tests to diagnose my injuries?
- Should I talk to an insurance company?
- Should I provide a recorded statement or complete numerous forms?
- Should I accept a settlement offer, if one is made?
The best decision you can make before doing anything is to speak with a lawyer and ask all of these questions. This will ensure that your rights are properly protected.
After being involved in a truck accident, you may not be quite sure what to do. By calling or contacting me, I will:
- Personally help you through this ordeal.
- Provide appropriate legal advice to you.
- Assist you in getting your motor vehicle or motorcycle repaired or replaced, at no additional cost to you.
- Attempt to arrange alternative transportation for you, to be paid by the negligent party’s insurance company.
- If you miss work, I will immediately seek to have your lost wages reimbursed, if you have the appropriate insurance coverage.
- If you require medical attention and you do not know the name of a reputable medical specialist, I will personally provide you with a list of medical specialists who are experts in treating individuals injured in motor vehicle collisions.
As a former trial attorney for major insurance companies, I will only recommend respected medical specialists who are concerned about your physical well-being and who are respected in both the medical and legal community.
If you have been injured in a tractor trailer accident and need an experienced truck accident lawyer, please contact me, Steven Ainbinder, for a free, confidential consultation. I personally believe that our system of justice works best when both sides have a skilled professional representing their clients. Please complete my online contact form or call me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.